Saturday, July 7, 2012

How to pay tribute to your loved ones on your wedding day.

Many of us have someone close to our heart that is missing on our wedding day. For me, it was my late Brother Bill. He was the sweetest man I have ever known. He was so caring and loving, and had the best smirk in the world! Not having him there on my wedding day was so painful & difficult, so I had to figure out a way to honor him. I knew he would have loved my husband, and definitely would have given us his blessing on our marriage.


For my husband, he wanted to honor his late Father Arkady. After my husband proposed, we went over to his Mother's house for dinner the following day. She went into her closest, and took out his Father's ring. It fit like a glove. His father's ring was made out of rose gold. It was so touching to have him wear it and honor him on our wedding day. Our Rabbi mentioned the meaning of the ring, and said some kind words about his Father during our ceremony.


For me it was not so easy. How could I honor my brother? What do I have of his that would do the job? Well my Rabbi gave me such an incredible idea. He told me to use Bill's Tallit from his Bar Mitzvah. He mentioned that he would drape it over the two of us during our ceremony. I was so thrilled and thought it was a fantastic idea!

On the day of my wedding, I was absolutely prepared for this moment. I was so excited to marry my best friend, and to honor my brother at the ceremony. I couldn't help but feel so emotional and shed some tears as the Rabbi draped the Tallit over the two of us and said some kind words about Bill. It was so touching, and I will never forget it, for I truly felt his presence in the room there with us. 

Recently, my sister sent me a photo of her and I delivering my Brother's Tallit to him during his Bar Mitzvah. I had to put the two photos together. It just made sense! I plan to frame this photo, along with his Tallit in a shadow box, and give it to my Mom. I will post the finished product.


David's Father's Ring

My Brother Bill's Tallit








In loving memory of my Brother Bill.
February 21, 1968 to June 5th, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Pinterest